Hanoi Traditional Spring Roll
Spring rolls is a traditional serve love by millions of people, and cannot be forgotten in meals, especially in Tet holiday or any other special occasions. We have come up with steps for you to follow on how to make it yourselves. A crispy, tasty dish without burning it!
- 400 gr Lean pork shoulder (should have fat)
- 1 Onion
- 150gr Bean sprout:
- 1 Carrot
- Kohlrabi: Half
- 100g of glass noodle, a few shiitakes, wood ear fungus
- 2 eggs
- Herbs: spring onions, coriander, pepper, fish sauce, spices
- Rice paper rolls: 35 – 40 sheets
STEPS TO MAKE DELISCIOUS SPRING ROLLS:
- Step 1 (Raw processing): Wash clean all meat, chop or put in blender for fine meat.
Do the same thing for the herbs.
Carrots, kohlrabi chop into tiny tubes, about 3 – 4 cm (about 1 – 1.5 inches).
Dip the glass noodles in warm water for about 30 degree Celcius (about 86 degree Fahrenheit) for 5 minutes and then cut them short.
The same thing for shiitake, wood ear fungus, cut out roots, old parts and chop them into small pieces.
- Step 2: Put every ingredient processed above in a large bowl. Add a spoon of cooking oil, then add pepper, a bit fish sauce, spices. Break 2 eggs prepared and pour them in the bowl too. Mixed them altogether slowly and make sure everything blended together.
- Step 3: Lay the sheet of rice paper roll onto a flat surface. Remember to cover it with a thin layer of egg yolk or beer, or vinegar (a must) to soften the sheets.
Put a bit of mixture of ingredients in Step 2 into to sheet, about the size of a small hotdog. Roll them with the edge of the rice paper, and then finally close 2 sides in before you finish rolling.
*Note: When rolling the paper you should roll them tight and even so that they will not collapse and break apart.
- Step 4: Heat the oil enough for it to be hot and old. Put the rolls deep inside the oil. Remember to roll the rolls in turns so they can be cooked inside and out until they have a beautiful golden color.
- The spring rolls best served when they are still hot. Another element cannot be missed is the sauce. The best formula to make the sauce is to follow the rule: 1 sour – 1 sweet – 1 sauce – 4 water (measure with a spoon). Which means 1 table spoon of vinegar, followed by sugar, fish sauce and finally 4 spoons of water.
Mix them up until the sugar dissolve. Finally add the fine chopped garlic, chilly and pepper into the sauce to add the perfect flavor for the perfect fish sauce.
*Remember this is only for the TRADITIONAL way of making spring rolls. You can be creative in the process and make your own types of spring rolls your ways to suit best to your taste.
Have fun cooking !