Located within Hanoi Old Quarter, the ancient house at 69 Ma May street which was built at the late of the Twentieth century, is quite intact with typical architecture of ancient houses on Hanoi street.

Ma May street
Ma May Street, once located on the bank of the Red river, was a very lively commercial harbor. It consisted of two small streets: Hang May and Hang Ma. Hang May, located near the pier, specialized in the selling of rattan and bamboo products. Hang Ma, close to Hang Bac Street, sold votive papers. At the beginning o fthe 19th century, the two streets were combined into Ma May Street.

In the French time, the street was called Quan Co Den which means Black Flags Street. The traditional occupations (rattan and votive papers) disappeared. In this street were many local and foreigners businessmen gathering to carry out their trading business, who then settled down here altogether.

From 1999, the street changed a lot and became one of the more interesting streets of Hanoi.

Nowadays, on this street at 87 house number has a very famous house which attracts many foreign tourists to visit this traditional house bearing typical architecture from at the end of the 19th century.

This house was built at the end of the 19th century and located at 87 Ma May street, Shopkeepers’families lived there successively until 1945, when a family bought it to sell herbal medicine.

In 1945, the government requisitioned the house and five families settled down there until 1999. These people had various occupations: grocer, tailor, state employee, martial arts teacher.

Spatial organization
This house is typical of the traditional architecture in the Old Quarter: It has a narrow facade and a succsession of buildings and courtyards, hence the popular reference as a “tube-house”. The shop is located in the first building overlooking the street. It is closed at night by removable wooden panels. On the second floor are the living room and the ancestors’altar, the most sacred place for the family.




            BOOK NOW